HCM was established in 1970, when Hitachi, Ltd. spun off its construction machinery division. When it was still part of Hitachi more than 60 years ago, HCM was involved in the production of Japan's first mechanical excavator.
Currently, the 48 companies that comprise the HCM Group are using IT as a strategic management resource to provide total solutions for customers' needs. In this way, HCM continues to grow as a strong, global, competitive enterprise.
- Development of the Hitachi U05, the first cable-operated power shovel made entirely from Japanese technology
- Establishment of Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. (service company)
- Development of the Hitachi U106 all-purpose excavator
- Establishment of (former) Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. through amalgamation of Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. (service company) and all construction machinery sales divisions of Hitachi, Ltd.
- Development and release of the Hitachi UH03, the first hydraulic excavator developed with Japanese technology
- Hitachi, Ltd.'s construction machinery manufacturing division split off from the parent company and established, with the Adachi and Tsuchiura Workss, as Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. (manufacturing company)
- Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. established through amalgamation of Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. (manufacturing company) and (former) Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd., with capital of 3.8 billion yen
- Released the KH150, the world's first fully hydraulic crawler crane
- Established Hitachi Construction Machinery (Europe) B.V.
- Capital increased to 3.85 billion yen (par value of shares changed from 500 yen to 50 yen)
- Adachi Plant incorporated into Tsuchiura Works under plant relocation and production consolidation measures
- Formed business tie-up with Kubota, Ltd. in the area of hydraulic excavators
- Developed a Earth Pressure Balance Shield Machine, which won the Japan Society for The Promotion of Machinery Industry Prize.
- Established Yamagata Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd.